Who we are
History and Mission of the Amphi Foundation
The Amphitheater Public Schools Foundation was established in 1983 by educators and parents, in partnership with the Amphitheater Public School District, and later incorporated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our mission is to promote academic excellence through the expansion of resources that enrich the education, development, and well being of students in the Amphitheater Public Schools.
The Amphi Foundation has, for most of its history, focused primarily on services that helped make it possible for students to attend school ready to learn, and participate in activities. The Amphi Clothing Bank, staffed entirely by volunteers, provides Amphitheater students and families in need with quality used and some new clothing, shoes, and hygiene kits in a clean, caring environment. We help defray travel expenses for students competing in regional and national academic competitions. And we support the Tucson Conquistadors’ program of underwriting athletic fee waivers so that every student with the desire has the opportunity to participate in sports.
In 2007, the Amphi Foundation launched its most ambitious program, the 21st Century Classroom Technology Initiative, through a generous grant from BHP Copper Inc. Our goal is to provide students and teachers with current, durable classroom technologies, and we began by equipping classrooms in every school with interactive, touch-screen SMART Boards. From SMART Boards to document cameras, our focus has now shifted to technology specifically for student use in the classrooms. Our fundraising goal is to raise $40,000 to assist the district in placing laptops in every elementary classroom, district wide.
The following year, the Amphi Foundation partnered with MathPLUS+ to provide students with personalized, computer-aided math tutoring specifically designed to meet AIMS test standards. The MathPLUS+ program now involves more than 100 volunteer tutors.
We are proud to have Shoes to Smiles in our program roster. Trindy LeForge, an Amphi Foundation board member, has taken a group of Amphi students on a shopping field trip nearly every month of the school year. Students are paired with an adult volunteer who helps them pick out not one, but two new pairs of shoes. The children receive valuable one on one time with an adult, they go home with new shoes, a package of socks, and everyone goes home with a smile on their face!
We’re proud to report how community support enabled us to exceed our goals for the 2016-2017 fundraising year:
- Provided $40,000 to purchase laptops and a 3D printer through our 21st Century Schools initiative!
- Awarded two $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors who plan to pursue teaching careers!
- Provided travel stipends totaling $8,900 to give over 80 students the opportunity to travel to Odyssey of the Mind, Academic Decathlon and We the People national competitions!
- Provided $10,000 to Classroom Mini Grants for teachers throughout the district.
- Purchased new books for every library in the district, including funding mulitple family library nights!
- Gave over 26,000 items of clothing, school supplies, new shoes, food and holiday gifts to support to students and families through our Clothing Bank.
The Board of Directors looks forward to continuing the Amphi Foundation’s close working partnership with Amphitheater Public School District to support and develop programs to meet the district’s changing needs.